Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Welcome to The Grog

The Grog.  That deliciously disgusting assortment of hot sauce, fruit punch, water, bacon bites, mini-donuts, marshmallows, butter and, yes, a sock.  I've been debating putting up a blog for a while.  What would it even be about? Who am I to write a blog?  Are people even going to read this?  The idea started to collect some serious thought after one of my friends in Army ROTC started to write a blog about his experiences in the program.  Its his site that inspired the name for my project: The Grog.  Kudos to you Grady.

To give you the brief outlook on my thought process, "The Grog" is part of a rather disturbing ritual in Army "Dine In's".  Break one of the one-thousand rules at the Dine In? Drink from the Grog.  Get called out by a buddy? Drink from the Grog.  Are you a freshmen?  You'll definitely be drinking from the Grog.  Normally your standard Grog would be an assortment of liquor, but because the majority of our ROTC Battalion is not 21 (we're made out of students at Boston University and it's affiliate schools, and Stonehill College and it's affiliates) its just a compilation of nasty crap mixed into one big.....Grog.

So there you have it.  This is my Grog.  My random outlook on the world.  Expect only the unexpected.  I should probably give you a brief bio: I'm currently enrolled at Stonehill College in Easton, MA.  I've got a weird last name (Smoot), and yeah...I'm a character.  I. Love. The Army.  For anybody out there who is thinking about service, and attending college at the same time, I would highly encourage you to think about Army ROTC.  It makes you physically fit, disciplined, and unless your a complete moron...you'll get a solid group of loyal friends.   

Embrace your random side. 

Welcome to The Grog.


Just an important note: NONE of my personal opinions reflect those of the United States Army, or any  United States Army ROTC program.