Monday, April 18, 2011

Velociraptor Survival Kit

They've had a couple of Velociraptor awareness tips hanging around my Dorm hall/on facebook lately, so why the hell not talk about it?


Now assuming we're dealing with the smart, crafty Velociraptors from the fantastic movie of Jurassic Park I'd have to change a couple of the survival tips that are out there.

1) Bigger is not always better.

In the original Jurassic Park, it apppears the best way to dispose of nasty raptor fiends is by using the big SPAS 12 shotgun.  It's a favorite staple showcased in plenty of movies and videogames, but is it practical?
The overall weight of the SPAS is around 10 lbs. without any attachments.  It has a dual fire capability which means it fires both pump action, as well as semi-automatic.  While all of this sounds great, the SPAS 12 doesnt have a full rail interface, and its also rather bulky.  I'm not sure I'd want to be lugging this thing around if I had to be outside with Raptors.  I'd really rather carry around the 8.4 lb. Benelli tactical shotgun currently being used by members of the U.S. Military.
Its lighter, leaner, and its also semi-automatic.  

However, if I wanted to go into Velociraptor-overkill-mode, and screw weight and mobility, I'd probably carry around the fully automatic AA-12 shotgun.

If I have deep pockets (or does money even still matter with a Velociraptor invasion?),  I'd probably be sporting the 32 round drum.  Regardless of whether I choose Buckshot, Slug, or that funky Frag-12 ammo, the full auto capability means I'm going to be handing out a world of hurt to those pesky raptors.

Here's the catch the though.  Raptors travel around in packs, and I'd be extremely boned to be out all by myself in the woods, or even an Urban environment.

This brings up #2.

Why the hell would I want to be in an open canopy jeep.  Again, assuming I'm using the survival guide of Jurassic Park, that just seems like a stupid notion.  In terms of transportation vs. Raptors, you really do lose either way.  Unless you somehow can get your hands on a Armored Personnel Carrier, you wont have a lot of options.  If I had to choose, I'd go for a souped up off-road vehicle---I'll take the hit with the gas-mileage for the better protection.


If I for whatever reason end up being outside, on foot, by myself..I'd be sure to bring along a tub of T-Rex piss (how would I get it is another question). The philosophy behind this of course is related to the classic philosophy of throwing deer piss all over oneself before hunting deer.  If the deer picks up "your scent", it'll be less likely to run off. 

So why the T-Rex piss?  

What Raptor pack in their right mind would go after a full grown T-Rex.  Now this tactic could also certainly fail in every single regard..but I'd still feel pretty BA walking around with the scent of a Tyrannosaurus.  

So what else?

3) Water, water and more water.

Always carry water-if you dont, and you think you can survive solely off of Monster Assaults, then you a an idiot and deserve to be eaten by Raptors.

Not a substitute for water.

4) First Aid Kit/gloves/eye-pro

This is something that seems to be totally over looked in terms of survival kits-usually the emphasis is placed on weapons and ammo, but if you slip and fall, cutting open your knee out in the jungle-ammo isnt going to fix you up.

Also, gloves.  If you mess up your hands, morale is done.  That's a big safety tip in ROTC-land and beyond.  Also you might want to think about eye-pro while your at it; running through the woods and getting a branch whipped into your face is not enjoyable.

5) Travel lightly

Dont run around with a ruck filled to the brim with your sleep system, E-tool, and 500 pounds of MRE's and ammo. I'd say cut it down to an Assault pack with just the essentials.  If you have an AA-12, I'd say you stand a fair chance in a fight as long as the terrain around you is favorable.  But you will, and should be running at some point, you do not want to be outside for very long.  

6) Booby-trap your home.  

That's pretty self explanatory, assuming this is dream land and you can get your hands on claymores, that's great.  Otherwise I'm sure a bear pit would be just as suitable.

7) Location, Location, Location.

It kind of blows that all of the buildings in Jurassic Park are surrounded by a thick jungle environment/that raptors have learned how to open doors.  Ladders thus are paramount, and I think a roof is probably a good idea.  Dont pick a shanty wood outpost though..we are assuming their are bigger things out there than Raptors after all..

8) Attitude.

I dont think I've ever seen this in a Survival Guide, but attitude is key.  Don't you notice that the whiny, annoying characters in movies like Jurassic Park tend to get wiped out in rather nasty and gruesome ways?

Now you could bring up the fact that both Samuel L. Jackson and that hunter dude were both pretty BA and ended up getting shredded..but look closer at the facts.

Both Jackson and Hunter man underestimated their opponents--Hunter dude more so.  If you have a distinguishable level of hubris because you've hunted every dangerous beast out there, chances are you're going to make a STUPID mistake (like getting baited and then flanked---see below).


Best bet is to do what you have to to survive, follow the common sense guidelines, and don't try to be a hero or a dinosaur hunter...unless of course there are two small children who constantly need to be saved after unfortunately deciding to visit their grandfather on the very day the shit hits the fan.