Monday, January 24, 2011

The Top Pop Songs That Have Become Too Overplayed and I Hate Them Now, or I Just Hate Them in General

If you live in the New England Area, you'll soon realize that crappy songs are constantly played over and over again on radio stations like KISS 108 and Jammin' 9.45, while songs that are actually good rarely come on.

I don't necessarily have a specific music taste; I guess if I had to put it under a genre it would probably fall under Electronic, but I am painfully aware of music which I can not stand.  It seems in this day and age, any white, skinny poser with long hair and an extremely whiny voice can land a best-selling album.

I guess firstly I should start off by apologizing to the female population of America, as the majority of the songs I'm going to slam in this post are probably your number 1 favs.  


The Songs That Aren't Necessarily Bad, but Then Become Remixed by White Prepsters in College and Thus Become Stupid and Annoying Genre

F**k You-Cee Lo Green
Alright let me first start off by saying that this is not that bad of a song.  Unfortunately it met its demise as soon as I heard it at the music "coffeehouse" at college.  Any song with the lyrics that contain more than one "Fuck" stand a good chance of becoming hits in Politically-Incorrect-deprived states like Massachusetts where anything deemed un-PC is usually received well by teenagers, but of course, a good song runs the risk of being constantly overplayed and then being sung by a poser in a wrinkly button up shirt emphasizing the words "fuck" while in a college cafeteria.  10 points deducted from Gryffindor.

Sub-Genre: Songs That Aren't Bad, but Became Annoying Once They Were Played Constantly and Are Better Off Taken in Small Doses

Stereo Love-Edward Maya &Vika Jigulina
Again...not a bad song.  It was catchy, added a new twist, and was unique.  However....it was overplayed!  The funky harmony going on in the background gets incredibly annoying if you hear it 3 times within just an hour.  Surgeon General's Warning: Best to be taken in small doses.

The Songs That Are Nothing More Than One Long Consistent Whine Genre (And Chances Are The Girl You Like Has Her IPod Filled With Them)

Grenade-Bruno Mars
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  Good Lord.  There are better ways to express anguish over a girl who broke your heart Bruno.  Also: There are much better ways to transport a piano.  Again, I apologize to all of the girls out there who absolutely love Bruno Mars and his stellar recordings of microphone feedback...ahem...music.

At least I didn't shit on "Just The Way You Are"....there may have been riots in the streets.

Rhythm of Love-Plain White T's
Ladies, there are sensitive guys out there...but don't expect them to have songs like this on their IPods....I'll stick to NIN and The Prodigy thank you very much.


Secrets-OneRepublic
Again, same premise...sensitive guys recording themselves crying for 4 minutes.  

Sub-Genre: The Songs I Can 100% Guarantee Are The IPod of The Girl You Like

Any Jason Mraz or Jack Johnson Song (This One Happens to be "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz)
Unless the girl you like is into Satanic Death Metal, I'd put the odds of her having a Jason Mraz/Jack Johnson song on her IPod at about 85%.  If she's from a Suburban neighborhood in New England the odds jump up to 95%.  In fact, if your a girl, this genre could also apply to the guy you like-taking into account if he comes from an upper class 'burb family, smokes marijuana, is a member of the town's yacht club, and is viewed as a tool by the majority of people in his town.

Too Harsh?

The Hip Hop-ish Song Market Pioneered Specifically For White Teenagers Genre

Bottoms Up-Trey Songz
If there's one thing that annoys me, its Rap that seems to be marketed towards prepster white teenagers.  As far as I view rap you can either take one of two roads-Actual Rap, and Poser Rap.  

If you want a definition of actual Rap-Look Below.

Eminem-Not Afraid
If you want to go even further into the "Actual Rap" Department, and with that go back a couple of years, it would be hard to miss famous (and controversial) rappers such as NWA or Biggie Smalls.  Compared to "Actual Rap", Bottoms Up is not a heavy-hitter.

Sub Genre: Poser Hip-Hop-ish Rap Made By Aspiring Young White Artists Trying To Gain Respect and Put Out Some 'Thug Life'

Love Like Woe-The Ready Set
You can not, and should not, be acting like a rapper if you're white and have this hairstyle.  Whereas Eminem throws off the personality of "Talk Shit and I'll Kill You", this kid looks like he snuck out of his parents house to go throw a party in a dusty house with fellow enthusiastic indie-lovers. Also...clearly not a safe place to throw a party..

Baby-Justin Bieber
I'm pretty sure what's going on in this music video could chalk up to either sexual harassment or stalking, but who cares? It's Biebs!  Seriously, the last person I want to hear singing about relationship woes is a guy who clearly needs a haircut (I vote for a High 'n Tight) and may need to hit up the gym.  Is she really your 'Baby'?  I don't think holding hands with a girl counts as being in a relationship Biebsta...but better luck next time G-Unit.

Also, Note the iconic cool playah handshake/high-five with Biebs Gangsta buddy at :24-:25.  Dude.  NBD.


The Songs that Wont Save Careers and Instead Remind Me of Domestic Violence (Oh Wait...there's only one artist in this category and it's Chris Brown)

Chris Brown was a good artist----the key word being "was".  Once images of Rhinna's face started hitting the web however, the artist (rightfully) went underground for a brief period of time.  But now he's releasing music again!  Sorry Bud, while "Forever" will always remind me of Junior Prom, whenever your new single "Yeah 3x" comes up on the radio waves I instantly think.....oh...yeah that's the guy who beats women.

Pre-Domestic Violence: Forever-Chris Brown

Post-Domestic Violence: Yeah 3x-Chris Brown
Note all the extra flair in the video.  Sorry Buddy but regardless of how many dancers and extras you throw in everybody still remembers how you beat women.

I'm sure my harshness towards these songs might make more than a few of you angry with me--and this article does beg the question: Do I hate all the songs that are overplayed on the radio??

As far as pop goes, I'm being honest with the songs above.  But I will include a list of pop songs that are overplayed and yet I don't mind at all....just so some of you can argue with me about this later.

In No Particular order:
Please Dont Go-Mike Posner
Higher-Taio Cruz


Like A G6-Far East Movement
DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love-Usher
Club Cant Handle Me-Flo Rida (When you put that together it spells Florida...for those of you who haven't figured that out yet)



Yeah that's pretty much the basics.