Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Weird Musical Tastes

I've been told by just about everyone who has had the fortune (or misfortune, you choose) of looking at my iPod that I have extremely weird musical tastes.

When it comes to music, I'm pretty picky.  I've never bought an entire album off iTunes, and just because I like one song from an artist doesn't mean I like all of their songs.

So why not share some of my musical tastes/how I divvy them up on my iPod and you can decide for yourself on just how weird they are?


ELECTRONIC

My favorite type of music basically.  Crystal Castles, The Crystal Method, Owl City, Daft Punk, Enigma, MIA, The Postal Service, Shiny Toy Guns...etc.  I like Electronic so much, I've split it up into different groups of electronica.  See examples below.

Miss Kittin and the Hacker--1000 Dreams


Dan Black (feat. Kid Cudi)--Symphonies


Hadouken!--Mecha Love


MSTRKRFT--Heartbreaker


The Orb--Little Fluffy Clouds


HARDCORE ELECTRONIC
Basically if you're new to Electronic these songs will either be harsh on your ears or weird you out.  I listen to alot of old NIN (Nine Inch Nails) songs and The Prodigy when I work out, and I'd say they're the two artists that really make up the bulk of this genre.  I only put Skrillex in because I just bought that song recently and DAYUM....it takes a while to get used to.

Nine Inch Nails--Down In It


The Prodigy--Breathe


Skrillex--Weekends!!!



FUNKY ELECTRONIC


Other than myself, I only know of one other person who actually listens to Electronic music, and even she found this stuff weird.  Personally, I love Chromeo, and the funky spins they put into their songs.  I'd say this genre is just an offshoot of electronica..I'm not sure how to explain it, but I'd say Chromeo is a prime example of a funky Electronic artist.  Some examples are below.

Chromeo-Night by Night

Justice-D.A.N.C.E.





PARTY ELECTRONIC
LMFAO pretty much runs this category, from 'Shots' to 'Get Crazy', but in other words I would define 'Party Electronic' as just feel good electronica.

LMFAO-La La La

LMFAO-Party Rock Anthem


OLD ROCK

My 2nd biggest genre.  This genre really just throws together Punk/Rock from before the 90s.  I could throw in a lot of good names here, like Guns and Roses, Bon Jovi, KISS, AC/DC, Twisted Sister, even Phil Collins and Billy Joel. I chose some of the more unorthodox options however to show below.

Def Leppard--Pour Some Sugar On Me


Huey Lewis and the News-Power of Love

Bachman Turner Overdrive--Takin Care of Business



Billy Idol-White Wedding Pt. 1

NEW ROCK/ALTERNATIVE

Obviously, this genre differs from the one above in that it focuses on music made post 80s.  U2, some of NIN's songs, Linkin Park, Drowning Pool, etc. all fit this genre.  

Breaking Benjamin--So Cold




Placebo--Running Up That Hill


Nine Inch Nails--The Hand That Feeds



FUNK
This is pretty self-explanatory.

Sly & the Family Stone--Dance to the Music

CLASSIC
This is pretty self-explanatory as well, but I'm really not ashamed to have classical music on my iPod.  As part of Men's Chorus in high-school I've sung 'For Unto Us A Child Is Born', and I love pretty much all of Handle's Messiah. Other than that I really love Celtic Music and Bagpipe stuff.


Handle--For Unto Us A Child Is Born


Enya--The River Sings


Celtic Women--The Butterfly


Hans Zimmer/Lisa Gerrard--Now We Are Free



RAP/HIP-HOP
In terms of rap, I tend to lean towards the classics, with some newer artists as well--SugarHill Gang, Biggie, NWA, Eminem, Pitbull (if you can call him a Rap-artist)..etc.  Below are some abstract examples (exception being NWA).

Snowgoons (feat. Last Emperor)--Man of the Year


Freak Nasty--Da Dip

B-Rock and The Biz--That's Just My Baby Daddy



Digital Underground--The Humpty Dance


NWA--Straight Outta Compton



POP
This is really just a miscellaneous collection of anything thats clarified as 'pop' on iTunes.

ADELE--Rolling in the Deep

Falco--Rock me Amadeus

Michael Jackson--Beat It

MODERN
Basically, anything on the radio now, or a few years ago, that I like.

Mike Posner--Please Dont Go


Chris Brown--Forever

Kate Perry (feat. Kanye West)--E.T.

MISC.
Tends to be foreign songs as well as music that are hard to put into any other category.
Yelle--Ce Jeu

Bloodhound Gang--The Bad Touch

Make the Girl Dance--Baby Baby Baby
*Music video inappropriate kiddies...follow link to view. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHF3X8tQYPU

So that pretty much wraps it up, obviously this isnt the full list of what is on my iPod, but I'm sure just through the examples of genres and songs within them that you get the idea.

Weird Musical Tastes.


--Fin--