Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Fantastic Surreal Imagery of Philippe Ramette

One of the obscure interests of History is the evolution of Art.  

I'd be lying if I said that art was, in fact, a long-standing interest of mine.

That being said, art was an extensively dissected topic in my favorite class of Highschool Senior Year:  AP Euro.  

Who can forget the squashed images of the medieval era?  The intense scenes depicted during the Baroque period?  The silly concept behind Rococo....co....co...co?  What about the beautiful landscapes created during the Romantic period?   

While I personally maintain a somewhat conservative and traditional outlook on what "art" is, I certainly am not one to dismiss the curious environments portrayed by Surrealist movement artists.

If you're unsure of what the Surrealist Movement is; look at the image below.

The Son of Man (by Rene Magritte)

If you still need an explanation for what the Surrealist movement was all about...just Wikipedia it.

Not to be cliche, but I really do enjoy Salvador Dali's Surreal painted landscapes and photography. (If you're not sure who Dali is, I've included two of his famous images below; one a painting, and the other a photograph).



Personally, the photo is my favorite of the two.

Anyway..getting back onto topic, I bumped into this image while reading a Cracked.com article.


I had never heard of Phillippe Ramette until the article, but I was stunned by the photography, and suprised that it was not a product of photoshopping.  

I've listed a few of my favorites from what I could find down below.

Just to wrap things up:  Not to sound like a complete tool-bag...but a photo really can be worth a thousand words, and Ramette's artistic imagery is fascinating; I'd be bold enough to say that it rivals that of Dali's work. 














--Fin--