Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Situation - Zombies

Hello, my name is Cam and I am a new blogger here on the grog. I was planning on making my first post about technology, however I came up with a better idea and most of the others on this site helped me to refine it. So I decided(/was forced) to do this first. It is not just a post, it is more like... an open-ended question. I will start off with a scenario and then describe how I would escape it. Then every other grog blog writer is welcome to try and beat out my escape plan with one of their own. After they give their plan, they can make a new situation for everyone to escape, whether it is an altered version of the same emergency, or something new entirely. This is something I hope catches on and is fun to read. So, without any further adu, I present, my zombie apocalypse scenario.



The Situation - Zombie Apocalypse

You are in your room in your closest major city (In my case Boston). Everything you ow
n is here and you are comfortably sitting by a window reading a good book in your lounge chair. You had been pretty engrossed in your book, however you were suddenly drawn out of it by the sound of screaming. Your head snaps towards the window and in all of the chaos you witness your city burning. In the streets, people are fleeing or shooting wildly into crowds and, although it is hard to tell, you believe you see zombies. They are of a slow variety, the old school rotting type; they are slow, stupid, hurt by the light, and can not swim. They have voracious appetites, however most people can walk faster than they can shamble. After you take all of this in you decide that you should stay put for a while and let things clear up outside because you are much more likely to get trampled or shot by people then eaten by a zombie out there. You spend the night in your room and wake up to find the streets deserted, some of the zombies have moved on and others have hidden for the day. Unfortunately smoke is pouring in from underneath your door and it seems you have very little time. You are able to put on some sturdy clothes and pack five objects into a bag before your door bursts into flames (please name the objects, you do not need five). You descend from the fire escape into the city below, now what is your plan to survive?

The Plan

My Objects

Poncho- can be used for rain protection or as a makeshift shelter

Knife- couldn't kill a zombie, but still useful

Duct Tape- incredibly useful, but also, with duct tape and a sweater you can make an armor that resists a human's bite force

Sleeping Bag - So I don't freeze to death during winter

Aluminum Baseball Bat- My early zombie killing weapon of choice, it is strong and light, but also silent and reusable.

My Plan

After I escape from my room, my plan is to escape the city as quickly as possible. I would stick to lit areas and try to climb through some of the major roads, probably on any above ground T lines to try and stay clear of cars. After I get out of the city I would try to head north where it is colder and less populated. I would prefer to take one of the U.S. mail trucks because they are fairly fuel efficient, rugged, pretty well armored and the back is big enough to live in if it is needed.

I would most likely try to live out the apocalypse in the back of my mail van, staying in places only shortly and trying to siphon off as much gas as possible from abandoned cars and gas stations. Eventually gas would run out and I would have to create a wood gasifier of some sort in order to continue moving. Luckily, if ventilated, this would also provide some much needed heat during winter. The vans windows would be fortified with steel and gun holes with covers on the inside would be added for protection. As I have said, I would go up North where there are only a few people even without an apocalypse happening and where the environment is much harsher. This would hopefully lessen out the zombies. Food and water would be scavenged and stockpiled in the back of the car. And even if the van breaks down to the point where it is beyond saving, there must be hundreds of thousands more. There is probably enough room to even pick up a few companions. Together with another person or two, I could survive indefinitely because I would never get pinned down or starved out, I can always just move on.


As for weapons I would use my aluminum bat, a bow, and possibly a shotgun. The reason I would use a bat and bow instead of the much more common sword and gun is because honestly, I think they are much more practical. Swords, even the extremely sharp katanas, generally get stuck in things. This is fine when you are fighting one on one or with an army to protect you, but really bad when it is you versus a horde of undead. Unlike a sword, a bat does not get stuck in anything, because it relies on blunt force. In addition, when you swing a giant, sharp and heavy piece of metal as hard as you can, you are just as likely to hurt yourself or your buddy standing next to you, as the zombie across from you. I prefer the bow for similar reasons; they are quiet, you can retrieve or make new arrows, and I doubt many people would be thinking to go for one. Guns are the exact opposite and because of that, trying to get a gun would be just as dangerous as running through a street full of zombies unarmed. Every gun store would most likely be barricaded or looted and most likely you would get shot before you got within thirty feet of the place. If I did get a gun though, it would be a shotgun for simpler reasons. I wouldn't have to aim as well and could fill the shells with metal shavings if I had to. Then I could just run and shoot behind me in a blind attempt to hit a leg.

Well, that is how I would try and survive, I challenge any other writer to do better. If anyone actually follows this site, feel free to tell us who's plan is best, point out any flaws(in the normal civility that the internet is known for), or just tell us your own plan. I hope you enjoyed reading my plan half as much as I enjoyed writing(/making) it up.