Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Situation--Zombies: Challenge Accepted

You are in your room in your closest major city (In my case Boston). Everything you own is here and you are comfortably sitting by a window reading a good book in your lounge chair. You had been pretty engrossed in your book, however you were suddenly drawn out of it by the sound of screaming. Your head snaps towards the window and in all of the chaos you witness your city burning. In the streets, people are fleeing or shooting wildly into crowds and, although it is hard to tell, you believe you see zombies. They are of a slow variety, the old school rotting type; they are slow, stupid, hurt by the light, and can not swim. They have voracious appetites, however most people can walk faster than they can shamble. After you take all of this in you decide that you should stay put for a while and let things clear up outside because you are much more likely to get trampled or shot by people then eaten by a zombie out there. You spend the night in your room and wake up to find the streets deserted, some of the zombies have moved on and others have hidden for the day. Unfortunately smoke is pouring in from underneath your door and it seems you have very little time. You are able to put on some sturdy clothes and pack five objects into a bag before your door bursts into flames (please name the objects, you do not need five). You descend from the fire escape into the city below, now what is your plan to survive?

My Gear

Duct Tape:  incredibly useful, but also, with duct tape and a sweater you can make an armor that resists a human's bite force... I have to agree with Cam and Smoot on that one. Combine Sweatshirt, sweatpants, and the bonding strip of God to make bite proof zombie armor. 

Sleeping Bag:  It is lighter than a tent, but it will keep me warmer in the elements better than a regular blanket.

Compact First Aid Kit: Toughness and adrenaline will only get you so far against zombies. And all of that time outside could lead to potential infections and unexpected injuries. So a small water bottle of hydrogen peroxide to keep my wounds clean and the standard bandages and tapes will help keep myself healthy.

Leatherman Multi Tool: The diversity that the Multi Tool offers makes it the better pick over the conventional swiss army knife. It may be a little heavier, but in situations where practicality matters, the Leatherman has a greater number of practical tools than the Swiss army knife.

Aluminum Baseball Bat: As much as I would love to slay zombies with a Katana, the baseball bat is a far more practical option for bashing in zombies.


My Plan

If I am in a college dorm in Boston, the first thing I want to do is get out of the city. Since these zombies cannot swim, constant movement on the water would likely be my best plan of action. I would make my way to a dock taking Cam's advice and moving in well lit areas where I cannot be cornered. Once I reach the dock, the time would come to gather what I could and GTFO Boston.

I would  stock on food and other necessary supplies at the next available port town. And the idea of port town hopping would get me the supplies and gas needed for survival. I am not much of a sailor, but a moving target is the hardest to hit. Plus, this plan does involve the least amount of zombie encounters, so there are fewer chances I get bit.


However, I might not get a boat and have to do my surviving on the land. 

If that were to happen, I would again GTFO of Boston and make my way towards less populated areas out of the Midwest. My mode of transportation would likely be an abandoned Chevy Equinox. Since the back seats can fold down, there is more than enough room in the back to hold out until I eventually settle down and fortify. 

In terms of weapons, the bat is a good starter weapon, but if I can manage to get an upgrade I will take it. Guns could actually do me more harm than good. Sure I've been shooting before, but I'm a pretty lousy shot and the noise would attract more attention than I would like. So I'm going to stick to bludgeoning weapons and maybe a stab weapon to get my kill count up. If I can somehow dig up gothic mitten gauntlets and arm knives, I can make a very interesting combination. How would that work you would ask? The idea is to put on the gauntlets and put the arm knives on over the gauntlets. The gauntlets will enable me to punch a zombie in the face while the arm blades get the piercing kills. This combo is also silent and re-usable, plus unlike a bat or a gun, I would not have to worry about being disarmed. Since I am a black belt in Karate, I have no problem getting up close and personal with a zombie. If the blades break, then I will discard my combination and make due with the bat. 


Take that ZomBitch!


As for fortification, I would like to fortify in a hilly area on the outskirts of a suburban town. The Hills would give me a form of high ground, with out having to climb up and down a mountain in order to get provisions. But just to be on the safe side, I would end up fortifying my surrounding land with a barbed wire fence, bear traps, and pitfalls just to be on the safe side.


So there you have it. My zombie survival plan, weapons, and fortification strategy. Happy surviving everyone.